Jericho Cemetery Information

There are two main cemeteries located in the town of Jericho.

Pleasant View Cemetery

(80 Vermont Route 15, used to be called the “Church Street Cemetery”)

Jericho Cemetery Association

Ronald Derouchie, Sexton – 338-6402

1813 or 1826 to current. Located in Jericho Corners on Vermont Route 15, behind the United Pentacostal Church ( Church is owned by the Jericho Congregational Church) across the street from the Jericho Town Hall. There is a Plot Record dated 1927-1999 located in the Jericho Town Clerk’s Office There are copies of rules of conduct and other information at the Jericho Town Clerk’s Office.

Jericho Center Cemetery

(8, 14 & 18 Barber Farm Road)

Jericho Center Cemetery Association

PO Box 1106Jericho Center, VT 05465

Bert Lindholm, President –899-3879

1804 to current. Located on Barber Farm Road in Jericho Center Snowflake Bentley is buried here. There is a copy of the Index of names from stones in Jericho Center Cemetery that was last updated in 2005 available for review in the Jericho Town Clerk Office. Lewis Chapin gave the land for the cemetery. The parcel of land that he gave to the town was two acres and he also specified that their should be a fence “whenever it is necessary to be so fenced.” Jericho Land Record Volume 1 page 361.

There is an “Index of Names –from stones in the Jericho Center Cemetery” compiled by Isabella Martin, last updated in 2005, available to view at the Jericho Town Clerk’s Office

Jericho also has two small cemeteries maintained by the Jericho Cemetery Commissioners: On Town Meeting Day March 4, 2014 the voters approved placing the care of public burial grounds under the charge of cemetery commissioners, who shall number three, and be elected for three year terms, pursuant to 18 V.S.A. §5373

Castle Cemetery

(269 Vermont Route 15)

1786 to 1971 - This is probably the Town’s oldest cemetery-located behind The Good Shepherd Lutheran Church on Vt Rt 15. Park in the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church’s lot. Take a path to the left of the Church’s handicapped parking spots.

The cemetery is visible from VT Route 15 but there is no longer a direct road to the cemetery.

The first death in the town of Jericho, then known as Jerico, was Dezier (Hawley ) Castle. She died on October 1, 1786 and is buried in the Castle Cemetery. David Castle (d. 1823) and his wife Phebe Sandford (d. 1820) are also buried there.

Also buried there are the original settlers of Jericho, members of the Brown family. From which the names of the Brown’s River, Brown’s Trace and Browns River Middle School came from.

This cemetery has been mapped, each stone sketched and copied by Cedric Alexander & William Strang in 1973. The book is available for review in the Jericho Town Clerk’s Office.

Town meeting 1786 Abel Castle, Daniel Stannard & John Farwell Surveyor of Highways

Lowrey Cemetery

(13 Raceway Road)

1801 to ?

A small family cemetery located off Raceway Road. The cemetery is located adjacent to a landowner’s property at 15 Raceway Road (third driveway on the left). Please contact the landowner before visiting the cemetery. The Cemetery is not visible from the road. Stones may be lost to the railroad gravel pit on the northwest side about 1850. The cemetery was given by the Lowrey Family in 1801.

Revolutionary War Veterans

<span class="translation_missing" title="translation missing:">Load Comment Text</span>